ANNOUNCEMENTS

If you're looking for behind the scenes, exclusive content.... be sure to join my Facebook group where I post almost daily. Just click on the FB icon below!!!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Book Corner: 'More Than' Discussion


Welcome to our fourth week in our discussion. We're talking about chapters 4 & 5 this week in
 More Than: Abandon Your Labels, Embrace Your Calling.

This week we're touching base with finding your life calling.

I'll be honest. I never thought my life calling was where it ended up being. Shoot, at times I still wonder if I'm on the right path, headed in the right direction. I believe that our life calling is the one thing in God's plan that wraps all the small "unimportant" events in our lives to. They help build us up for the big stuff. Our gentle spirits would not be able to handle it all at once, so the Lord uses an entire lifetime for us to make our way to that standpoint. 

I believe that in order to find your life calling, we should be in line with the Bible and reflect back to it often. The more we dedicate time to God's Word, the easier it'll be to hear his life directions. In addition to reading the Bible, I feel we should take a lot of time in prayer, calling out to the Lord for direction and help with seeing our purpose. 

Once we ask and listen, we need to act on what God's speaking of. I love what the author says about this. It's powerful. Here read it for yourself again. 

"Callings aren't found sitting at home hoping, dreaming, and wishing that you'll figure yours out. It's about getting out there, getting involved, and being vulnerable." (pg 36)

While we open up to God, we are leaving ourselves vulnerable to Him and He can work wonders within us. As a result, we can do wonders in the world.

****

I love how the author references baking bread in Chapter five to life. I never thought of it the way she explains and I agree with a lot of what was written. I find myself in the kneading of the dough within my life. I'm prepping my bread while the yeast is rising. 

As I was reading about the sugar and salt within our lifestyles, I find that I am more sugar. I have always been naturally kind, loving, and compassionate. Before I read this book, I always saw that as a flaw. I've said many times in the past that I am way too caring and I find myself caring too much. My sisters are salt and when I see people reacting to them, it makes me feel that friendships come much easier. When you're the sugar in life, I feel some think of you as the person who feels too deeply or takes things to heart. Thus, making them a "drama queen" or "wanting to be self-centered". 

After this chapter, I've promised myself to nourish this part of me and not think ill of it. It's a gift that this world could use more of. 

When the author started talking about her writing, I honestly felt as if she were talking about me. I'm going through the same thing right now. For two years (2012-2013) my fingers were hammering at the keys and I was creating worlds within my books quicker than I could keep up. Since I self-published my daughters story, life always seems to get in the way of my craft and I push it to the back burner. I've let myself slip. I have eight or so unfinished manuscripts hanging out; waiting to be finished for the world to read. I try to sit and write, but I find it hard. 

Since the start of the new year, I've got back into blogging and I've made some plans on a few of the books which need completed. Since reading this chapter, the author has inspired me to get back at the keys and write. It doesn't have to be perfect writing/plot lines. However, it needs to be something! 

****

My favorite quote within this week's reading was in Chapter 5. 

"The baking process of our lives includes the tests of our character and our opportunities to practice." (pg 52)

What did you take from this week's reading? Did you discover anything about your personality that you need to embrace or make changes to?  


No comments:

Post a Comment