ANNOUNCEMENTS

** Don't forget to check out this week's Bible verse.

** I'm accepting promotional posts regarding upcoming releases, cover reveals, etc from other authors. Contact me to see if your book is the right fit for my blog and we can discuss your upcoming post on my blog. :)

Thursday, April 18, 2013

What It’s Really Like Being an Author Starting Out – at least for this one....



Everyone has dreams as their growing up. I know I did but being an author never crossed my mind. Once I realized I loved to write and wanted to focus part of my life on it, I realized my dreams changed. I want to be a successful author. By this I’m not meaning money wise. I want to be successful by always striving to get better and push myself to never stop learning. I can’t say how much I’ve learned with just writing my first book and having it published.

At first I didn’t think the word published would ever come out of my mouth. When I got to the point where I needed to begin thinking of it, I thought only the lucky authors got their books out there. That’s until I was introduced into the self publishing world. (This was also when it became the “thing” to do.) I didn’t hesitate to begin formatting my book and send it off to Lulu.com.

At this time I didn’t realize that it needed an editor. My mind was focused on one thing. When a reader (also an author) privately messaged me, they explained that my book could be a lot better if I pulled it and had it go through the editing stage. They felt my book could really make a stand out there if it had a good edit. So, it was pulled.

I put Silenced through the ringer (beta readers and an editor) then began my hunt again for a publisher. I got mixed up with the wrong publisher who presented themselves as a “great -don’t want to miss this opportunity- we’ll get your work out there to the big people” and they ended up being not so great. They destroyed my book and gave me a bunch of false hope. I eventually found out they are considered a “spam” publisher and begin fighting my way out of the contract. I found they were in breach and got the rights back to my book.

After the few months of battle, I had to put Silenced through formatting and editing again. This time I was careful. I did more research. I found an editor and sent off Silenced again. This time I felt sure it was going to be ready for the world. After several weeks of changes and emails with the editor, we felt Silenced was ready.

I went to Amazon and published it. I’m still finding out there are mistakes within the book and I plan on fixing those in the future. But for now I’m working on finishing Amber’s story for my fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment