ANNOUNCEMENTS

If you're looking for behind the scenes, exclusive content.... be sure to join my Facebook group where I post almost daily. Just click on the FB icon below!!!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Beware the Procrastination Demons



One thing I have learned within the past year while finishing the edits with Silenced and the start of The Overtaking is the procrastination demon that occasionally got a hold on me. I would always say, “I’ll do it in a little while.” Then this little while would creep into a few days and possibly even a few weeks. 

I’m a stay at home Mom, so there’s a lot around the house that distracts me from what I should be doing... writing. I see something in the house that needs tended to. A dear friend or family member decides to show up. There’s just one more thing to do for my little bundle of joy before she comes. All of these are only a few of the things that distract me. 

I have found a way for myself to avoid this. First and foremost, I created a work schedule to get rid of these distractions and the procrastinations. During my newly formed schedule, I make sure I do everything I can to limit my focus on other things other than writing. I shut off the television. No radio. Grab the laptop (which runs really slow with the Internet up and one of my WIP’s) and set up to write. I turn the cell on silent and stay away from the Internet. Once all of these interruptions are shut down, I focus on writing.

I have certain times where I check my cell phone to be sure I haven’t missed any important calls. Most of the time I do this during a food break. 

When it comes to household chores, I set my writing times later in the day, so I can get those pesky chores out of the way. My reward for completing them in a short amount of time is ... more time to write. There I feel is a win/win. 

How do you like to avoid the procrastination demons?

No comments:

Post a Comment