ANNOUNCEMENTS

** Don't forget to check out this week's Bible verse.

** I'm accepting promotional posts regarding upcoming releases, cover reveals, etc from other authors. Contact me to see if your book is the right fit for my blog and we can discuss your upcoming post on my blog. :)

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Beware the Procrastination Demons



One thing I have learned within the past year while finishing the edits with Silenced and the start of The Overtaking is the procrastination demon that occasionally got a hold on me. I would always say, “I’ll do it in a little while.” Then this little while would creep into a few days and possibly even a few weeks. 

I’m a stay at home Mom, so there’s a lot around the house that distracts me from what I should be doing... writing. I see something in the house that needs tended to. A dear friend or family member decides to show up. There’s just one more thing to do for my little bundle of joy before she comes. All of these are only a few of the things that distract me. 

I have found a way for myself to avoid this. First and foremost, I created a work schedule to get rid of these distractions and the procrastinations. During my newly formed schedule, I make sure I do everything I can to limit my focus on other things other than writing. I shut off the television. No radio. Grab the laptop (which runs really slow with the Internet up and one of my WIP’s) and set up to write. I turn the cell on silent and stay away from the Internet. Once all of these interruptions are shut down, I focus on writing.

I have certain times where I check my cell phone to be sure I haven’t missed any important calls. Most of the time I do this during a food break. 

When it comes to household chores, I set my writing times later in the day, so I can get those pesky chores out of the way. My reward for completing them in a short amount of time is ... more time to write. There I feel is a win/win. 

How do you like to avoid the procrastination demons?

No comments:

Post a Comment