ANNOUNCEMENTS

If you're looking for behind the scenes, exclusive content.... be sure to join my Facebook group where I post almost daily. Just click on the FB icon below!!!

Friday, January 19, 2018

Fumbled Faith Sneak Peek #2

I've been working really hard to finish Fumbled Faith and have the goal to have it finished by Feb. 14th. In the meantime, I'll be sharing small previews for you to enjoy and get a feel for the book. If you haven't read the first preview, you can do so by clicking HERE!

Now on to the more exciting things.....
... the PREVIEW!!! Yay. 


Enjoy...

****

Loud music tore through the once quiet parking lot as a few people stumbled outside. The stench of stale cigarettes lingered right outside of the door. The smoke twisted artfully throughout the room as I stepped inside, forming swirls in the gloom with hundreds of conversations entertaining with each other in loud voices. The overly large crowd was better for me than the silent walls of my home. I wound my way through the small dancing crowd to the bar toward the back. Along the wall behind the L-shaped bar, every hue of amber liquid sat perfectly on the shelves in front of a large mirror. I raised a shaking hand to grab the bartender’s attention as I sat down on the torn leather stool. My heart raced as the guilt thickened, but I knew it wouldn’t be long until the voice of reason was silenced. “What can I get ya, Handsome?” The busty bartender asked as she wiped the area in front of me with a damp rag. “Jack and coke, please,” I replied. “Coming right up,” she said with a smile she seemed used to wearing. I rested my arms on the rough bar while I waited for my drink.
Laughter rang out over the rock music while the stagnant stench of a cigarette engulfed my senses. A young woman with a too-revealing top settled in beside me as she took a long drag from the source of the stench. Blowing out a puff of smoke, she smiled at me, “And what’s a handsome fellow like you doin’ alone in a place like this?” she asked. I wasn’t in the mood for talking, but answered anyway, “getting away.” She leaned further than necessary on the bar, her black hair falling over one shoulder and landing just above her overly exposed cleavage. She leaned her head to the side while pushing her red lips out a bit. In my younger years, she would have been one I went home with, however on this particular night, I wanted to be left alone. My drink arrived, and ruby lips ordered another drink. The bartender turned toward her while taking her order in a flash. Ruby lips played with her hair as she watched me sipping my drink. Her eyes felt as if they were burning into me, I downed the rest of the drink and signaled for another. Part of me wondered if she recognized who I was, but the other didn’t care.
While she twiddled with her hair in a seemingly absent-minded way, she glanced at me while she attempted to drink sexily from a straw. I wasn’t buying it nor would I ever. One woman had my heart and fate had taken her away. I disregarded her as I focused on the drink in front of me, “keep em coming,” I told the bartender, who had no problem keeping up with my demands.
The sixth drink had arrived. Listening to the small ice cubes clinking against the glass, the stress I felt when I walked in started to fade. Breathing in the strong fragrance of my drink, I had no care in the world, even Ruby Lips seemed to have gotten the picture that I was here for one thing. I drank in silence, hoping that the answers I needed were at the bottom of the bottle. Few words were exchanged, and I intended to savor the ease as my drinks slipped down seamlessly. I closed my eyes as I took another gulp, dwelling in the flavor of ‘ole glory. The burn no longer bothered me and always had me coming back for more. As I finished off my drink, someone caught my attention in the mirror behind all the bottles of relief. I swiftly sat my glass down and turned toward the thinning crowd. As I struggled to stand, I left a tip at the counter and headed off to the beauty of the room. The blonde curls, perfect curves, and pleasing laugh made me believe Grace was here. As I watched her, I studied the way she moved her hips and danced to the rhythm of the music. When the woman turned around, her facial features resembled Grace, but reality bypassed the alcohol and reality set in. She was not my Grace, my beautifully perfect wife because she died. All at once, I came crashing down as I made my way back to the bar. “Sue, I’ll take the whole bottle,” I yelled to the bartender.
“You finished it, Kol. Besides, with the way you’re stumbling around here, I’d say you had enough. Go home and sleep it off,” she yelled back and winked.
I knew that was the best thing for me to do right now. The harsh scent of whiskey lingered around me as several people moved out of my way. It was easy to see me struggling to keep my balance as I made my way to the door. Driving wasn’t the best decision I made but what choice did I have? I had nothing to lose. Somewhere within, my brain processed my surroundings and sent the signal to the rest of my body on what to do, as if it were on autopilot. I don’t recall the drive home, but suddenly I’m parked in the long driveway staring at my empty house. I was drunk, plain and simple. I slumped down in the recliner and unknowingly fell asleep with ease.


****

This is copyrighted material that can not be distributed or shared outside of this blog. Please respect the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment